Three Unique Aspects Read Fahrenheit 451

Three Unique Aspects of Fahrenheit 451
Daniel Song

A little while back, I began reading Fahrenheit 451, a dystopian novel by Ray Bradbury. Guy Montag is a fireman, and lives in a dystopian society where books are burned in order to control the influx of dangerous ideas. Firemen, in this society, instead of putting out fires, start fires by burning books. Everything was going fine, until one day, when he decides to question the reasons behind why they burn books. After this, his world gets turned upside down as he faces the consequences of his actions. This book, although full of sadness and rejection, has many redeeming qualities, so here are 3 unique aspects of the book that make it a worthwhile read.

Image result for fahrenheit 451
  1. Plot. This book has a very interesting storyline. It starts with him living his normal life as a firefighter, to being on the run from firefighters. The ending is very unexpected, as well as most of the events in the middle. The idea of living in a society where books are illegal is a very different idea, not one thought about on a daily basis. It makes the book very fascinating, as often books are taken for granted. I do not want to give a full summary of the plot, as that would spoil the book, but you can be assured it is very much gripping and most definitely a good use of your time.
  2. Character development. The character development of the main character, Guy Montag, is quite extraordinary. He starts the book as a firefighter, on of the people who burns books, but ends up as a pro-book citizen when the book finishes. Although he changes all throughout the course of the novel, there are a couple turning points in his thinking. One quote that encompasses this change in his thought process goes as: "At the last fire, a book of fairy tales, he'd glanced at a single line. "I mean," he said, "in the old days, before homes were completely fireproofed–" Suddenly it seemed a much younger voice was speaking for him. He opened his mouth and it was Clarisse McClellan saying, "Didn't firemen prevent fires rather than stoke them up and get them going" This quote is the start of the revolution beginning in Guy's heart, that causes him to question why he does the things he does and ultimately change his mind on the burning of books.
  3. Pacing. This book quite intrigued me with the pacing. At some parts of the book, it seemed as if nothing important was happening, while in others, too much happened at once to keep track of everything. This, along with the remarkable plot and the astounding character development made this a book that will forever be in my memory.

Comments

  1. I have read this book before and I think that you did a good job explaining the plot and storyline. I thought that it was interested how you talked about the pacing of the book and how it added to the quality and writing style of the book. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite books! I really like how you explained the themes and characters in the book. I found this blog post very easy to follow, and as someone who has read the book before, I think you did a great job with summarizing it. I also agree with you when you say you thought the pacing of the book was intriguing. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job of explaining the plot in this novel, as well as highlighting Guy Montag's character development by using a direct quote to show a pivotal moment for his change in this story. I also liked how you talked about the pacing of the book, and how it made it memorable, even it was inconsistent at times. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I began reading this book a while back, but never got very far. After reading your blog, I have been reminded of some of the most interesting qualities of the book, like its originality, and am intrigued by your description of the book as a whole, such as pacing and turning points. I enjoyed reading your blog post, and will pick this book back up again in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often thought about reading this book because of how well-known it is, but I have just never gotten around to it. You did a good job incorporating quotes into your post, and it helped me understand the overall tone of the story. Maybe someday I'll read Fahrenheit 451. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually never read this book, although I have heard of it many times. Reading the blog post was helpful because I was able to learn a lot about the book through your comments. I think the points you focused on (plot, character development, and pacing) are good topics to write about and you thoroughly explained how each topic is shown in the book. I also like how you transitioned from the first quote to the second quote you used because it felt natural and it removed a lot of unnecessary text. Your quick summary of the book at the top actually helped a lot to make me understand your other points as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read this book before, but I think you did a great job introducing me to it. My favorite section of your post is when you discuss character development. I think you did an excellent job explaining how Guy Montag's personality changed through the book and how it affected the reading experience overall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of this book before but have never read it or even knew what it was about. This blog post does a good job explaining what it is to me and it's definitely peaked my interest. Your section on character development was the most interesting to me, and it's the section of this post that is best written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As with pretty much everyone else here, I too have heard of Fahrenheit 451. I personally have not read it since I haven't really heard much about it outside of it is an old American "classic." However, your book review makes the book sound intriguing and suspenseful. I especially like how you included the quote that Guy says about how firemen used to put out fires and not start them, as it felt like a heartfelt change in his character. Overall, you did this book justice in your review. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how this book can also work as a metaphor for what happens when a government gets too power-hungry and purposefully makes laws that don't help the people. I am glad that you brought up pacing in your listicle because one of the main things I enjoy in a book is the speed in which new things happen. I end up disliking most books I read that are too slow. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I have heard of Fahrenheit 451, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. The book sounds really interesting and gripping, with all the plot-twists there are in it. The quote you chose to include supported your point of the character development that occurs , and provides a glimpse into the author's writing style. Great job on your listicle!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts